Pages

Friday 23 May 2014

Finishing Things

I started making this dress at some point last year.  The pattern is Simplicity 1776 which I have used once before to make a spotty ponte dress.  I bought the fabric from Croft Mill, it is a British wool tweed and it was described as "Airforce Blue".  I was originally going to use it to make a skirt but I have a navy blue Gap corduroy dress which I wear at least once a week in the winter with tights and a long sleeve top underneath and I thought this dress could be a good replacement for it.  I spent ages making a muslin, putting in a side zip using a tutorial from Scruffy Badger, lining it and then just before hemming it I tried it on and it was too tight around the posterior it must have shrunk on the sewing machine!  So, in a fit of pique I threw it on the floor of my sewing room where it has resided ever since.


Until yesterday.  I had a funeral to go to today (I know it isn't black but it wasn't a "formal" funeral so I thought muted and plain would be fine) and I thought this dress might work for it so I tried it on and lo and behold it fitted!  So hems quickly sewn and I have a finished object!

After that I had some time to spare so I quickly made myself a Lady Skater.  My previous post amply demonstrates my love for the child's version of this pattern so  I thought it was about time I made it for myself.  I used the green spotted jersey I bought in Goldhawk Road on Saturday which was okay, but lighter than I would usually buy (but for £3 a metre who cares!).  I am really happy with the result and am going to make another using some Liberty jersey I bought from Shaukat a while ago but have been too daunted to use.

This dress also fulfils the Friday theme in the Me Made May Flickr Group which is "Polka Dot Parade" so as soon as I got back from the funeral I put this on.


Élodie and I have come to an agreement: one item for her then one for me.  Since I have two finished objects she is requesting the same for her so it looks like I have a busy weekend ahead of me!

4 comments:

  1. Productive day? Absolutely adore the green polka! Love it with the hair band and yellow sandals too! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It felt it, but they were both really quick things. The skater took me 2 hours, including faffing! xx

      Delete
  2. The blue dress looks great on you and the green polka dots are so fun for spring! Glad to see that you started a blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I love polka dots, who doesn't?!!

      Delete