Pages

Thursday 18 December 2014

Christmas Crafting Part 3 - Last Minute Teacher Presents

This post would not exist if it were not for the extraordinary lack of organisation from a fairly big company.  I ordered some tins of biscuits from an online retailer* to save me the hassle of making teacher presents, and when I phoned up to ask them why they had not arrived a week later (or even been despatched, I'm still waiting for them...) they just said they had been very busy.  Now I'm not one to tell other people how to do their jobs but I reckon I could have told them they may be a little bit busy in December, well in advance!!


Oh well.  So last night I suddenly realised that I needed to come up with a present of some sorts by this morning as it was our last day of term.  I asked the Child what she thought we could do and she suggested fudge (a favourite in this house) and a little bag to put them in.  Okay then.


The Child chose some fabrics from the stash, two coordinating prints I have had since forever, and I made two boxy pouches with alternate fabrics on the inside and outside.  I used a tutorial I found on Pinterest but can't find the same one again, however there are lots out there.  I didn't use the measurements it said anyway, I just read it for the construction.


For the fudge, I made up a new Christmas fudge recipe that I thought others may find useful so have written it down in case anyone else is caught short without a gift this Christmas!

Christmas Fudge
1 x 397g tin of condensed milk
250g granulated sugar
200g dark brown soft sugar
110g butter
150ml milk
1 tsp (or to taste) cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp allspice

1. Put all the ingredients into a heavy bottomed saucepan over a low heat and stir occasionally until the sugar is dissolved and the butter melted.
2. Bring to the boil and boil, whilst stirring, until the mixture will set when a little is dropped onto a plate.  This should take around 10 mins.
3. Take the pan off the heat and beat vigorously for as long as possible or until your arm drops off.  Less beating will result in a chewier texture. Then pour out into a tin to set.  I use a 18cm square tin lined with foil.
4. Mark out squares before the mixture sets too much to make cutting later easier (I forgot this time and it cracked a bit).  Lick the spoon while waiting for it to set, trying to avoid burning your tongue (voice of experience!)



*It was Lakeland Ltd just in case anyone was wondering




5 comments:

  1. Does everyone give teachers pressies at Christmas then? Lucky to be a teacher at this time of year! I hope they like your gifts and that your hard work is appreciated! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently so! I have just done her class teachers but some people do the extra curricular ones too. I was sat next to someone yesterday who gave the teacher a bottle of wine, I should have just done that in hindsight!!

      Delete
    2. The fudge looks yummy, think we'll have to have a go at making some of. Really pleased that Christmas is later in the week this year as we'll have time to do some fun stuff instead of rushing around trying to get the house into some kind of respectability!

      Delete
    3. Try it with a glass of red wine, it makes it taste like mulled wine!!

      Delete
  2. Wow this fudge looks lush Jemma. What lucky teachers!
    I def can say from experience (being a secondary school teacher for 15+ years) that presents for teachers only happens at Primary schools ; ) Not jealous at all!

    ReplyDelete