The success of my last Playtime Dress had the additional bonus of helping me to decide how to use this gorgeous fabric that the very lovely Nicole sent me last year. After having seen Katy's Sailboat Top I wanted to make an exact replica because I love it so much! But then I thought about lengthening the pattern to a tunic, and then I stalled what with so much going on towards the end of the year. I pulled the fabric back out again around the Child's birthday but was suddenly undecided so put it back away again, and it was only after making the Playtime Dress up that I hit on the idea of mixing the two patterns together.
I took the front and back pieces of the Sailboat top and measured roughly where the playtime bodice ends and cut the pattern off at that point. Then I attached the skirt to it. Simple! I did make an error when constructing the top which was to overlap the back pieces at the shoulder on top of the front instead of the other way around. I have made this pattern before but it was over two years ago and I wasn't really concentrating that hard this time! Oops! Having said that, I think it is one of those things that bugs me but that non-sewing people may not notice so it's staying.
The fabric is a fantastically stable polo shirt pique style knit. Nicole very generously sent me a lot of it and I have plans for a maxi dress for me from the rest of it - although knowing me my plans may change! I would also like to make a straight Sailboat top from it, I think it is perfectly suited to this pattern.
Most of the construction was done on my overlocker, including attaching the facings which is probably not advisable! I opted not to use a contrasting thread for the top stitching which is a bit of a shame as I did it quite neatly on this one, I have just finished a sweater version of the sailboat and the top stitching on that is decidedly wobbly!
I am very pleased with how this dress has come out. I think it's a nice version of the Playtime dress which my daughter finds very comfortable. I can see this getting a lot of wear and hopefully it will fit for a year or so.
I have done very well at replenishing the Child's wardrobe recently. There are still things I would like to make for her and she will need more clothes this summer but she has enough to be going on with for the moment. She is still in need of basics though but I feel my motivation to make them wearing off a bit! At some point I will get round to it but for now I think I'm going to take some sewing time out to work on my cardigan that I have been knitting for myself since last May!